Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District

Christ Church St. Lawrence

architect

Edmund Blacket (possibly)

location

George Street, Haymarket

date

1840

style

Victorian Academic Gothic

construction

Sandstone

type

Church
  CLICK IMAGE TO CLOSE WINDOW
 
 
 
 
  Christ Church St Laurence SydneySanctuary circa 1884Sanctuary c. 1906
  Mural by Virgil Loschiavo on east wall of sanctuary 1939
 

Sanctuary c. 1939CCSL circa 1932

 

Construction of the Christ Church St Laurence began in 1840 on the original site of the parish hall which had been there since the mid 1830's. Prior to the construction of the church services were held in the Parish of St. Laurence storeroom. Henry Robertson was architect appointed to design the church. The original church was completed in 1841.In 1853 the six bells (cast by John Taylor & Sons, Loughborough, Leicestershire in 1852) were installed.The church was finally consecrated in 1845. The church buildings grew with the addition of a school and rectory.The church was first restored on 1906 with further renovations occuring throughout the 60's 70's and 80's.The Christ Church St Laurence is located at 507 Pitt Street, although entrance is gained via George Street. A minor quirky feature of the church is a buttress that extends beyond the boundary of the church into Pitt Street. This demonstrates how, even in the early days, public planning can work around worthwhile obstructions. Closest rail station - Central.

 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 
  Rector - Father Adrian Stephens BTh
814 George Street, Sydney Office: Level 2 812B George Street, Sydney
PO BOX 1324, Haymarket New South Wales, 1240, Australia
Telephone: +61 (2) 9211 0560 Facsimile: +61 (2) 9212 2449

links

http://www.ccsl.org.au/index.html