Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District

Judge's House

architect

William Harper

location

531 Kent St.

date

1827 (1824 land grant from Governor Bligh)

style

Regency

construction

brick

type

house
This cottage is a rare colonial survival in the heart of present day commercial Sydney. The cottage
was built for William Harper a Scottish migrant who worked as an Assistant Surveyor.
Ill health and eventual blindness caused him to retire when still young and his home was rented to Mr
Justice James Dowling at an annual rental of 200 pounds. The house once enjoyed 'delightful and
healthful views of Darling Harbour'.
 
 
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links