Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District

Former Edwards Dunlop and Co. Ltd.

architect

Robertson and Marks

location

Kent Street

date

1897

style

Federation Warehouse

construction

Thought to be the earliest  Federation Warehouse. An intricate and unified design.
The Edwards Dunlop Warehouse is one of the earliest buildings in the Federation Warehouse Style, a style which characterized the design of Sydney’s woolstores and warehouses for 30 years. The building was refurbished in 1999-2000 for commercial use.
“The ground floor front is entirely of stone, and the remaining four floors are built of open kiln burned red bricks, with stone dressings..."

type

Warehouse
 
 
   
Founded in 1869 and incorporated in NSW on May 1, 1886. The company developed into a major paper merchant and converter operating throughout Australia, New Zealand, P.N.G., South East Asia and the U.K.
In June 1982 the company advised that through its subsidiary PicsAustralia, Edwards Dunlop has diversified into the retail area with high-speed photo processing mini lab and photo shops.
The company’s operations were conducted through three divisions: Merchanting Division, Stationery Division and Disposables and Packaging Division.
Following a successful takeover bid by Brown & Duneau Ltd (Amcor Limited) the company was removed from the Australian Stock Exchange on April 26, 1989. 

Sources used to compile this entry: Original data from D. Terwiel, S. P. Ville and G. A. Fleming, Australian Business Records: An Archival Guide, Canberra : Australian National University, Faculty of Economics and Commerce, Dept. of Economic History, 1998. Subsequent information provided by RMIT, MBIT student, Catherine Nolan. 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links