Sydney Architecture Images- Central Business District

48 Martin Place (former Commonwealth Bank Building, State Savings Bank or Government Savings Bank of NSW)

architect

Johnson Pilton Walker (2014 refurb).

location

48 Martin Place

date

1928

style

Inter-War Beaux-Arts

construction

Terracotta and pink granite facade. Interior with faux marble ('scagliola') columns.

type

Bank
This imposing building was built as the headquarters for the Government Savings Bank of NSW and opened in 1928. Go inside and have a look at the banking chamber –originally one of the largest in the world – which incorporates both Australian and imported marbles and a plaster and pressed metal ceiling.
 
Prominently located on the corner of Martin Place and Elizabeth Streets, the refurbishment will transform the historic banking chamber into a state-of-the-art commercial workspace over 11 levels. Brookfield Multiplex will undertake a complete refurbishment of building services and systems, fit out the interiors, widen the existing atrium, as well as construct a new two-story glass-domed roof and glass shuttle lifts.

Designed by Johnson Pilton Walker architects and constructed by Brookfield Multiplex, the refurbishment of the iconic 48-50 Martin Place building to become the new headquarters of Macquarie Bank in Sydney features a two-storey glass roof that will feed light into the renovated interior spaces. The existing façade of the 1920’s heritage listed building is to be retained, with the additional two floors of meeting room and office space and the widened atrium the main structural changes.
Surface Design has been involved with the facade design and testing with the builder including the triple glazed roof, glass bridges, glazed lift shafts, meeting rooms and atrium balustrades. A condition review of the existing heritage windows and lead lights to the banking chamber was also undertaken.
Surface Design was also engaged by the facade sub-contractor to provide engineering certification for the roof glazing.
http://www.surfacedesign.com.au/projects/facade/48-50-martin-place/
 
 
 
Money boxes ... the tin, right, was modelled on Commonwealth Bank's then head office in Pitt Street. The tin, left, was a model of the bank's building at 48 Martin Place.
SPOT the difference … a sharp-eyed reader brought our attention to a blunder in yesterday's story about plans to add a dome roof to the Commonwealth Bank building, which has been the model for money boxes issued by the bank.
The pictured money tin, right, was not the replica of the 48 Martin Place site referred to. It was modelled on the bank's then head office, 100 metres down the road on the corner of Pitt Street. The green and gold money box was first issued in 1922 and sold for sixpence. It has been the bank's flagship money box for 90 years.
The ''pink palace'' money box, left, was issued after the 1931 takeover of the Government Savings Bank of NSW and its former head office at the number 48 site.
 Source- SMH.
 
The famous interior built by Italian craftsmen.
 
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://www.tsamanagement.com.au/48-Martin-Place-Sydney
http://www.brookfieldmultiplex.com/newsfeed/view/brookfield_multiplex_to_deliver_new_martin_place_landmark_2013_03_14
http://www.jpw.com.au/Projects/Commercial/48MP/48MP.shtml
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/a-telling-tale-of-two-tin-moneyboxes-20120925-26jfg.html