central business district (downtown) 1

Macquarie Street
cbd001d.jpg (48336 bytes)
01 Hyde Park Barracks 
off Macquarie Street
02 St. James Church 
off Macquarie Street
03 Mint Museum 
 Macquarie Street
cbd1-004-04.jpg (54434 bytes) cbd006b.jpg (60156 bytes) cbd1-006-05.jpg (69424 bytes)
04 Colonial Secretary General (Intercontinental Hotel) Macquarie Street 05 Lands Department Building
off Macquarie Street
06 Former Horbury Terrace
 Macquarie Street
chief_secretarys_office.jpg (81101 bytes)
07 Chief Secretary's Office
 Macquarie Street
08 Wyoming
 Macquarie Street
09 Land Titles Office
off Macquarie Street
bmahouse.jpg (96000 bytes) cbd1-013-01.jpg (53347 bytes)
10 BMA House
 Macquarie Street
11 History House
 Macquarie Street
12 The Astor
 Macquarie Street
cbd4-031-02.jpg (74730 bytes) cbd4-037-03.jpg (73257 bytes) cbd016a.jpg (63483 bytes)
13 Dorchester House
149 Macquarie Street
14 Transport House
99 Macquarie Street
15 State Library 
off Macquarie Street

 

Since the earliest days of the colony, location of the government precinct and residences of official and eminent citizens. In 1881 Macquarie Street extended from Bent Street to Harbour. A competition for Parliament House was held in 1876 and 1888. Macquarie Street was widened in 1914 and connected to Martin Place in 1935. Butters Committee also recommended massive redevelopment for new Parliament House and Law Courts in 1935. In 1960 the State Planning Authority proposed typical redevelopment with high rise towers and slabs. The Government Architect's Branch of the Public Works Department responded with a series of reports which gradually scaled down the redevelopment proposed, culminating in the 1983 report which lead to substantial improvements to the landscape and streetscape prior to 1988 and to the low scale additions to Parliament House and the State library. 

Macquarie Street is named after Australia's Colonial Governor, Lachlan Macquarie.