Sydney Architecture Images- Western Suburbs

St Mathew’s Windsor (Anglican) See also St. James Church

architect

Francis Greenway

location

Moses Street Greenway Crescent Windsor 

date

1817-20

style

Old Colonial Georgian

construction

See also GREENWAY

type

Church
 
 
 
 
 
   
St Matthew's Church at Windsor is the oldest Anglican Church in Australia and the second oldest of any denomination. It is widely acknowledged as one of the best works of the great convict architect, Francis Greenway. Built by convicts between 1817-1820, the site was chosen by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. Macquarie laid the foundation stone 11 October, 1817 - 190 years ago today.

St Matthew's is an important Georgian church, designed by the colonial architect Francis Greenway (formerly a convict who had been transported for forgery) and built in the years 1817-20 by convicts using sandstock bricks and sandstone on the site of an earlier church. Some indication of the importance attached to the church may be drawn from the gifts of a Bible and clock for the tower, presented by King George IV. In 1840 a gallery was built to house the pipe organ and a porch was added to the southern side. The dominant feature of this fine building is the square tower with an octagonal cupola. Internally, the fine joinery and coffered ceiling are notable. [1]

The 1840 Johnson & Kinloch organ which now stands in its original gallery position has the distinction of being the first "finger" organ built in Australia. A full description of the circumstances surrounding the construction of this historic organ is contained in Graeme Rushworth's book, Historic Organs of New South Wales (Hale & Iremonger 1988).



Sources-

http://www.ohta.org.au/organs/organs/Windsor.html

http://sydneynearlydailyphot.blogspot.com/2007/10/happy-birthday-st-matthews-anglican.html

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links