architecture of sydney university
Disparate parts that create the whole. Different aspects of the university's character are reflected by differing styles.
Memorial Art Gallery
||05 Botany Lawn
|07 Old Geology Building||08 Holme Building||09 Footbridge Theatre|
|13 RD Watt
||15 Old Bank
|25 JD Stewart
||26 Maclaurin Hall||27 Evelyn
|28 Round House||29 Veterinary Science Conference Centre||30 RMC Gunn Building|
|31 Fisher Library||32 New Law School||33 Eastern Avenue Auditorium|
|34 Carslaw Building||35 Chemistry Building||36 Anderson Stuart Building|
|37 Madsen Building||38 Gatekeeper's Lodge||39 Edward Ford Building|
|40 Transient Building||41 RC Mills Building||42 Physics Building|
Teachers College Building
Fidler Memorial Garden
|49 Bruce Williams Pavilion||50 Blackburn Building||51 St. Andrew’s College|
|75 St. Paul's College||76 Women's College||77 Wesley College|
|78 St. John's College||79 Sancta Sophia College||80 Moore College|
|81 Gardener's Lodge Gatehouse, Victoria Park.||82 Charles Perkins Centre|
|52 Seymour Centre||53 School of Information Technologies||54 Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Building|
|55 Engineering Building Link Building||56 University Pool||57 Civil Engineering Building|
|58 Materials and Structures Building||59 Chemical Engineering Building||60 Peter Nicol Russell Building|
|61 Peter Nicol Russell Memorial||62 Electrical Engineering Building||63 Gordon Yo-Hoi Chui Building|
|73 Institute Building||65 Services Building||66 Economics and Business Building|
|67 Bio-Chemistry and Microbiology Building||68 Old Darlington School||69 Wilkinson Building|
|70 Central Building||71 Wentworth Union Building||72 Merewether Building|
|Sydney University Facilities Notes|
The first University to be constructed in Australia, previously those
wishing to obtain a university education were required to travel abroad. The
university is a heritage cultural landscape containing buildings of
exceptional individual value set within a designed landscape with large
areas enclosed by a historic fence. The place developed into a series of
precincts each with a special character. The continuing function of the
institution as a University is also of exceptional cultural significance. An
important Sydney landmark, containing what is probably the most significant
group of Gothic Revival buildings in the country.
The Act to incorporate and endow the University was passed in 1850 and the infant institution was temporarily accommodated in the defunct Sydney College building. By 1853 a site for the University and four denominational colleges had been selected at the Grose Farm, south of Parramatta Road.
The first buildings were constructed on a ridge looking towards Sydney. In the hollow to the west of the ridge were located the ovals and the individual colleges. A Medical School was established that was associated with the development of the nearby teaching hospital, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. The hospital is located to the west of the University campus, between two of the colleges. The Medical school was originally intended to be sited between the two institutions however a more prestigious site adjacent to the main quadrangle was selected. Gradually more faculties were added. The original formal approach to the east of the main quadrangle is now a public park: Victoria Park. The university expanded considerably in the twentieth century and now occupies buildings across City Road and the Institute Building. The place includes extensive developed gardens, ovals, avenues and other open spaces with terracing, stairs, fountains and paving and extensive iron and stone fencing with major gateways.
Howells, Trevor “University of Sydney Architecture”, Watermark, Sydney 2007.
http://www.facilities.usyd.edu.au/fmo/pladev/heritage.shtml (special thanks to the Sydney Uni Facilities history website)