Sydney Architecture Images- Sydney University

Women's College

architect

John Sulman and Joseph Porter Power

location

15 Carillon Ave, Newtown 2042

date

1894

style

Federation Free Style

construction

Red brick

type

Education Halls of Residence
 
 
 
  A brief history

A college for women was facilitated by the University of Sydney Senate's decision, in 1881, to enable women to study “in complete equality with men”.

In the decade that followed a committed group within the University Senate agitated for the establishment of a college exclusively for women students. The main members of this group were the Chancellor (William Manning), the Vice-Chancellor (Henry MacLaurin) and two Professorial Fellows of Senate (Walter Scott and Theodore Gurney). In the submission put to the Government by Manning’s committee the new college was to have the status of an affiliated college equal to that of the male colleges. The Council of the College was to comprise twelve members of whom two were to be members of the Senate of the University.

In 1889, a college for women was established and endowed by an Act of the NSW Parliament.

The Women's College opened in 1892 with four students in a temporary rented house called "Strathmore" in Glebe.

The Women's College in its own building within the University grounds was officially opened on 5 May 1894. The building had been designed by architects John Sulman and Joseph Porter Power to accommodate 26 students.

There have been subsequent building and refurbishment programs and, in 2005, the College was listed on the NSW State Heritage Register.

Today the College offers accommodation to 280 women students who are studying at the University of Sydney.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://www.thewomenscollege.com.au