Sydney Architecture Images- Sydney University

Old Darlington School

architect

George Allen Mansfield

location

Cadigal Green, Darlington.

date

1877

style

Gothic Revival

construction

polychromatic brickwork with sandstone sills, kneelers, broaches and string courses.

type

Education school
 
   Above- during restoration work, 2008.
 
 
   
An important public building of the former suburb of Darlington, the smallest municipality in Sydney An example of the work of the well known architect George Allen Mansfield. A fine example of a single storey Gothic Revival style suburban schools designed by the Architect to the Council of Education: George Allen Mansfield. Indicating the process of expansion of the University of Sydney into Darlington.

Darlington School was designed c1877 and was one of a number of single storey suburban schools designed by the architect to the Council of Education, George Allen Mansfield. The School was opened in April 1878. At the end of 1975 the school, which was in a poor state of repair, was transferred to the University. Several buildings were demolished and the site cleared in 1976. It was originally intended that the area be used for the construction of a new building for Biological Sciences, to be relocated to Darlington from Science Road. This plan was cancelled with the ending of the Australian University's Commission triennial funding in 1975. The building was renovated for use by the Department of Music and as a theatre workshop and completed in 1978.

Old Darlington School is a two storey Gothic Revival style building constructed of polychromatic brickwork with sandstone sills, kneelers, broaches and string courses. The picturesque composition includes a spire at the south-west corner, a chimney almost in the centre of the verandah (to the west elevation) and gables to the south and west. Blond brick is used for the body of the walls and red brick is used to accentuate arches and the quatrefoil window to the main gable. Red bricks have been recessed to form a cross motif, based on brick modules. This motif occurs on the spire and below the sill to the main gable. The timber bargeboards are very fine. The roof is slate, with the exception of the verandah (which appears to be a later addition). The curtilage of the building has been substantially altered and it is now set in a park like setting. All of the outbuildings, weather sheds &c that would have been associated with the school have been removed. The original layout of the plan has not been confirmed. Many of the smaller schools also contained a residence. The central portion may have been intended as accommodation however it is likely that both of the larger rooms, with gables and lancet windows, were intended as classrooms.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links