Sydney Architecture Images-  Sydney University

St. Andrew’s College, University of Sydney

architect

William Munro

location

Missenden Road

date

1874-6

style

Victorian Tudor

construction

Sandstone

type

Education
  Critics at the time described this look as Elizabethan.
  College and Oval from the air
 
 
 
 
St Andrew's College is a self governing co-residential college with a population of 215 undergraduates, 14 graduates and 5 resident academics. Many residents are supported by scholarships and bursaries.

The College, situated within the main campus of the University of Sydney and set in over 4 hectares of picturesque grounds has offered residence, academic and social support and a unique opportunity to experience University life to the full to students for over 130 years.

It enables students to get the most out of a University education: a combination of, independence; academic support through mentors, tutorials, senior students and peers; social development through involvement in the Students' Club and in other philanthropic, intellectual and cultural pursuits; participation in a wide range of sporting activities and friendships.

College History

St Andrew’s was established in 1867, but its history goes back to 1854.

St Andrew's College has excellent libraries, a chapel, computer room, common rooms, photocopying and facsimile facilities, individual internet connections and room telephones with voicemail, a full-size oval and unrivalled sporting and social opportunities. It is supported by an Alumni Society and a Foundation Trust. Former students have advanced to become Rhodes Scholars, Cambridge Commonwealth Trust Scholars, University Medallists, international sports people, professors, university chancellors and vice-chancellors, highly successful business people, industrialists, financiers and respected members of every profession. No doubt amongst the current students there are people who will go on to positions of influence and renown.

Amongst the College's very many residents who have gone on to become successful have been some who have been more well known such as Gordon Childe the renowned prehistorian, Raymond Dart who discovered the hominid Taung child and hence the genus Australopithecus, John Bradfield the engineer of the Sydney Harbour Bridge after whom the Bradfield Highway is named, Professor Samuel Angus the almost heretic and the Reverend Dr Peter Cameron the convicted one, H V Evatt the youngest ever High Court Justice and a President of the United Nations General 
Residents' Profiles

From time to time we like to provide an update with a snapshot of some residents in St Andrew’s College.

Assembly, the poet A D Hope, Mungo MacCallum the writer, in Rugby the renowned Wallaby captains John Solomon and Nick Farr Jones, Wallabies Phil Waugh, Myer Rosenblum, Dick Tooth, Saxon White and Scott Gourley who played both for the Wallabies and the Kangaroos. David Carter the swimmer was recently in College as was Dr Chris Brown the TV Vet. The cosmologists Michael Drinkwater (the discoverer of the ultra-compact dwarf galaxy) and Matthew Colless were students. Engineer and philanthropist Thyne Reid of Hardie Industries was a student and a most generous supporter of College all his days and his family have remained and still are closely connected with the College. John Crane of Crane Industries, the Fairfax family, the Blaxland family are or have been all great supporters of College.

The St Andrew's College Incorporation Act received Royal Assent in 1867 in the 31st year of the reign of Queen Victoria and was only replaced by an updated Act as recently as 1998. In 1870 the College Council first met and in 1876 the students entered the grand sandstone Scottish baronial building now known as Main Building.

The College is a non-denominational independent institution of Protestant origins situated upon its own sub-grant of Crown Land and governed by a Council under the St Andrew's College Act 1998. The application form for residency does not require a religious declaration of any kind and diversity of faith is genuinely welcome.

Senior Common Room

The Senior Common Room is the nucleus of the College, a place of academic leadership and intellectual development. St Andrew's College has a resident group of scholars and experts in many fields, who are readily available and spend time with the students at meals, social occasions, College functions and tutorials. These academics teach in various University departments, are leaders in many fields, have very wide and varied interests and are the basis of the College tutorial programme. They are often joined by visiting tutors, professionals and other luminaries as part of the College's philosophy of education for life and so that students can be helped and encouraged in their development and in their University work in most disciplines.

St Andrews College Crest
The College Crest

The St Andrew's College crest of arms was granted by the Court of the Lord Lyon King of Arms, Scotland. Read about its history here.

The College also has a variety of academic and other visitors throughout the year. These interstate and overseas academics provide opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate residents to participate in after dinner conversations in a variety of disciplines.

The Principal is supported in his academic and pastoral duties by the Vice Principal, the Senior Fellow, the Senior Tutor, the Dean of Students, the Chaplain, the Fellows of College and the other members of the Senior Common Room. The College Manager, who is also the Secretary to the College Council, looks after the financial, legal and domestic side of College affairs. An Administrative Committee consisting of the Vice Principal, the Senior Fellow, the Senior Tutor, the Dean of Students and the Manager meets fortnightly to oversee the day to day affairs of College and the Principal meets weekly with the Executive of the Students' Club to discuss matters of interest to the student body

However, in such a friendly and lively gathering of souls, everyone in College is in close and daily contact with one another at all times and students are given great opportunity and freedom in their personal creativity and development.

A Brief History of St Andrew’s College

Dec 1854
Enabling Act passed by New South Wales Parliament.

1858-1865
Various attempts made to form a Presbyterian College.

12 Dec 1867
Royal Assent given to the Act to Incorporate St Andrew’s College. Accepted date for the establishment of St Andrew’s College.

29 Apr 1868
Public meeting held in Sydney, presided over by the Governor, Lord Belmore, to launch an appeal for the funds needed for the College’s endowment to enable it to be proclaimed in the Government Gazette.

29 Nov 1870
Founding Council of St Andrew’s College held its first meeting.

5 Mar 1872
The Reverend John Kinross appointed first Principal but did not take office.

14 Sep 1872
The Reverend Adam Thomson appointed as first Principal.

21 Mar 1873
Incorporation of St Andrew’s College announced in the Gazette. The Reverend Adam Thomson appointed Chairman of Council.

6 Aug 1873
Land for St Andrew’s College given to the College under a sub-grant from the University of Sydney’s land holding.

1874
First student, George (later Sir George) Fuller admitted to St Andrew’s College. Goes on to become original member of Commonwealth Parliament and Premier of new South Wales.

9 May 1874
Foundation stone of Main Building laid by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church who happened to be the Right Reverend John Kinross.

Nov 1874
The Reverend Adam Thomson died.

20 Apr 1875
The Reverend John Kinross appointed Principal (for the second time) and Chairman of Council.

22 Jul 1876
The partly completed Main Building opened by the Moderator, the Right Reverend James Cameron of Richmond.

1877
Main Building completed and grounds laid out.

1878
Number of students sixteen.

1880
Number of students rose to seventeen.

Dec 1889
Programme started for improvements to the College and addition of new residential and teaching rooms.

1890
Number of students climbed to twenty three.

Mid 1891
Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in NSW asked every parish in the State to contribute to the cost of a new central wing of the Main Building and development of the north section.

1892
First Intercollegiate Boat Race.

1892-1893
New central wing of Main Building completed.

31 Dec 1901
The Reverend Doctor John Kinross left St Andrew’s College.

1902
The Reverend Doctor Andrew Harper appointed Principal and Chairman of Council.

1905
Harper Building built as Principal’s residence.

1906
Rawson Cup presented for intercollegiate competition by the Governor of New South Wales, Admiral Sir Harry Rawson. St Andrew’s College Students’ Club formed.

1906-1907
Southern extension wing of Main Building (Vaucluse) built, increasing student numbers to sixty six.

1908
Further extensions built to southern wing, almost to Carillon Avenue (then Bligh Street). Funds raised in an appeal to Presbyterian Parishes in NSW and to all former students of St Andrew’s College.

1914
Main Building extended southward.

1920
The Reverend Doctor Andrew Harper left and The Reverend Doctor Edward Anderson appointed Principal and Chairman of Council.

1920-1922
New Lodge built as residence for The Reverend Doctor Edward Anderson. (Demolished 1964 when present Lodge built).

1937
The Reverend Doctor Edward Anderson left and returned to Scotland. Principal no longer ex-officio Chairman of Council.

1938
The Reverend Doctor William Cumming Thom appointed Principal. Mr Bryan Fuller QC elected as Chairman of Council.

1946
Doctor Angus Murray OBE elected as Chairman of Council.

1948
St Andrew’s College Alumni Society formed.

1950
The Reverend Doctor William Cumming Thom left. Doctor Robert Stevenson elected as Chairman of Council.

1950
The Reverend John McIntyre appointed Principal.

1952
Mr Bryan Fuller QC elected as Chairman of Council.

1953
New Building opened (subsequently became the Reid Building). Numbers in College now about one hundred and forty. College Dramatic Society founded. First production Pygmalion by G B Shaw.

1955
Doctor Harry Raffan elected as Chairman of Council.

1956
The Reverend Doctor John McIntyre left.

1957
The Reverend Alan Dougan appointed Principal. (First Andrewsman to preside over the College).

1958
Doctor Angus Murray OBE elected as Chairman of Council.

1960
New dining hall and kitchen, with Junior Common Room on lower level, opened. Present Kinross-Mackie Chapel created.

1961
Doctor Robert Stevenson elected as Chairman of Council.

1964
New Principal’s Lodge completed. First official history, “The Andrew’s Book”, published. Reverend Douglas Cole elected as Chairman of Council.

1966
Thyne Building opened. Number of students in College two hundred. Creation of St Andrew’s College Oval.

1967
Doctor Harry Raffan elected as Chairman of Council.

1970
Second edition of the official history, “The Andrew’s Book”, published. Doctor Robert Stevenson elected as Chairman of Council.

1973
Doctor Francis Mathews elected as Chairman of Council.

1974
The Reverend Alan Dougan left.

1975
The Reverend Doctor Hugh Cairns appointed Principal.

1976
Doctor Harry Raffan elected as Chairman of Council.

1978
Heritage Appeal launched for general purposes of the College.

1979
Mr Ian Harper elected as Chairman of Council.

1982
Mr John Crane elected as Chairman of Council. Doctor Hugh Taylor elected as Chairman of Council.

1985
College Foundation formed. Mr Derek Cassidy QC elected Chairman of Council.

1987
The Reverend Doctor Hugh Cairns left.

1987-1988
All College administration and management consolidated within the College for the first time under new Secretary to Council and Manager, Commander Roger Shellard RN.

Aug 1988
The Reverend Clyde Paton appointed Principal.

1988
The Reverend Douglas Murray elected as Chairman of Council.

1989
Third edition of the official history, “The Andrew’s Book”, published.

1991
The Reverend Doctor Clyde Paton left. The Reverend Doctor Peter Cameron appointed Principal. Mr Ian Harper AM elected as Chairman of Council.

1994
Doctor William Porges appointed Vice-Principal. Mr Campbell Anderson elected as Chairman of Council. Mr Ian Harper AM elected as Chairman of Council.

1996
The Reverend Doctor Peter Cameron left and appointment of Doctor William Porges as Acting Principal. The Reverend Douglas Murray elected as Chairman of Council.

1998
St Andrew’s College Act 1998 replaced the St Andrew’s College Incorporation Act 1867. Principal may be lay and Councillors’ religious affiliations broadened to include all Protestants.

1999
Restoration of the Reading Room to its 1876 condition. Doctor William Porges appointed Principal. Mr Andrew Murray elected as Chairman of Council.

2002
College accepts women undergraduates. Mr Andrew Murray completed his term as a Councillor and Chairman of Council. Emeritus Professor Saxon White elected Chairman of Council. First females to represent St Andrew’s in sport. Coxed IV is placed 2nd in intercollegiate boat race.

2003
Golden Jubilee of Dramatic Society. Noises Off by Michael Frayn. First St Andrew’s victory in Intercollegiate Performing Arts Challenge.

2004
Centenary of Rhodes Scholarship Scheme. Two St Andrew’s students (Stephanie Topp and Sandy Cameron) win the NSW and Australian Scholarships. Commander R O Shellard retires as Secretary to the Council and College Manager but remains as Honorary Secretary to the Foundation. Mr W J Erickson takes over as Secretary to the Council and College Manager. Rosebowl Tennis Team wins St Andrew’s first female sporting trophy.

2005
The Reverend Theodora Hobbs completed her term as a Councillor. Emeritus Professor Saxon White completed his term as a Councillor and Chairman of Council. Dr R R I Harper SC elected Councillor and Chairman of Council. Commander R O Shellard retires as Honorary Secretary to the Foundation. Major refurbishment of Reid Bathrooms completed. New tennis court complex opened. Number of undergraduates now two hundred and twenty two, graduates nine and Senior Academics five.
   
   

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://www.standrewscollege.edu.au/html/the_college_crest.html