Sydney Architecture Images- Sydney University

Pharmacy Building

architect

Archibald Liversidge with NSWGA, redone by Leslie Wilkinson

location

Science Road

date

1889, Leslie Wilkinson 1923.
1890s-1902 - Additions c1905 - Balance Room 1923-24 - Remodelled 1943 - New Lab added

style

Wilkinsonesque Georgian/Inter-War Mediterranean. (facelift)

construction

rendered brick

type

Originally teaching rooms with lecture theatre.
 
 
 
A purpose-built laboratory, designed by the Professor of Chemistry, Archibald Liversidge and reflecting the best in international contemporary practice in laboratory design. A rare example of an 1880s laboratory which has continuing usage as a laboratory. Part of Professor Leslie Wilkinson's remodelling of Science Road.

The chemistry laboratory was built in 1888-1890 by the Government Architect's branch to the design of the Professor of Chemistry, Archibald Liversidge who also designed the laboratory fittings and equipment and represented the best in international contemporary practice following Liversidge's inspection of laboratories in Europe, America and Japan. Particular attention was paid to adequate ventilation and lighting. Alterations and additions were made in the late 1890s-1902 and in c.1905 a balance room also to Liversidge's design, was added to the east side of the building. The building was remodelled in 1923-1924 by Leslie Wilkinson with the addition of a second storey at the front and changes in fenestration at the north-east corner. The building was stuccoed in common with his other Science Road changes. A new laboratory was added in 1943. In 1958 when chemistry moved, the building was adapted for use by pharmacy which also occupied parts of the adjacent bank and Badham buildings (A15 & A16). In c.1978 an addition was built at the south end of the building. Refurbishment and fire upgrading works took place in the 1980s.

The Pharmacy building started life as the Chemistry Laboratory, constructed in the 1880s (with the adjacent Physics Laboratory). Both of the laboratories were substantially altered by Leslie Wilkinson in the 1920s. The laboratories were designed by the respective professors, in the case of Chemistry Archibald Liversidge and the details of the design were prepared by the Colonial Architects Branch under Barnet. When constructed the laboratories contained state of the art fixtures and fittings. Two original draught cupboards survive in the Chemistry laboratory. The laboratories were constructed of brick with the windows set into recessed panels. The roofs were slate. The slope of the site was utilised, with the building being single storied to Science Road and two storey to the south. Wilkinson retained the porch and added another storey and converted the panels into a blind arcaded treatment to create a neoclassical style frontage to Science Road. Other evidence of the original configuration of the building survives at the rear, included the recessed paneling. The facade itself is a two-storey neo classical structure with a giant Corinthian order, base and entablature covering both storeys. Five bays of the Barracks Street facade face south. Interior of the building has not been inspected.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links