Sydney Architecture Images- Search by style
Federation Anglo-Dutch c. 1890—c. 1915
|03 Australasian Steam Navigation Co.||08 Mark Foy’s Department Store||002 Corporation Building|
|04A Santa Sabina Convent||014 Railway Institute||10 White Bay Power Station|
|013 Newtown Post Office||022 Newtown Ballroom|
|From the 1840s onwards, architecture in Britain
was dominated by ‘the battle of the styles’— Classical versus Gothic. Both
styles had their passionate adherents; less committed, more flexible
architects could switch from one style to the other as circumstances
demanded. As knowledge of Greek, Roman, medieval and Renaissance
architecture increased, the demands and restricdons imposed on practitioners
became correspondingly heavier. In the 187os some younger British
architects—among them J. J. Stevenson and E. R. Robson—sought to break away
from the dogmas of academic stylism and find a more flexible idiom. They
turned for inspiration to the domestic architecture of England in the late
seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, the time of Queen Anne and,
perhaps more relevantly, William and Mary. Strongly influenced by buildings
in the Low Countries, this was a basically simple, elegant architecture of
fine brickwork, with lively Dutch gables on the skyline and some light
touches of not especially correct Renaissance detailing.
Stevenson, Robson and the great Norman Shaw soon became adept at drawing on the vocabulary of this period of English architecture and freely combining many of its elements with wit and imagination. Their buildings were usually to be seen in an urban context in the form of commercial buildings and townhouses, and the scale was invariably small. There was at least some justification for calling this cheerful, unpretentious new style Queen Anne, but this name soon became misused and appropriated to describe buildings having a different range of characteristics (see FEDERATION QUEEN ANNE). The style is therefore now described as Anglo-Dutch.
Today there are relatively few surviving examples of the style in Australia, usually gracing city streets and not rising above six to eight storeys. An appreciable number of Anglo-Dutch buildings have been demolished and replaced by taller structures. The survivors are characterised by the plain red-brown brickwork of their façades, enriched by delicate, attenuated ornament in brick and terra- cotta. At the roofline, a lively, playful silhouette is achieved by the use of stepped or scalloped brick gables. Windows are usually double-hung, vertically proportioned and painted white; often the upper sash is subdivided by wooden glazing bars and the lower sash is a single sheet of glass.
Corporation Building (former Municipal Building), Hay Street, Sydney NSW. George McRae, City Architect, C. 1893. A sprightly design of fine brickwork and terracotta.
Air Force Club (former Woods Chambers), Scott Street, Newcastle, NSW. Frederick Menkens, architect, 1892. The steep monumental gable and oriels give a Hanseatic flavour.
"A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Austrlian Architecture; Styles and Terms from 1788 to the Present"
RICHARD APPERLY, ROBERT IRVING, PETER REYNOLDS. PHOTOGRAPHS BY SOLOMON MITCHELL.
Angus & Robertson Sydney 1995 ISBN 0207 18562 X
Copyright © 1989 by Richard Apperly, Robert Irving and Peter Reynolds.
|City of Melbourne Buildings. Elizabeth Street, Melbourne. Completed 1888. A very early example of the style.|
|University of Melbourne main buildings. Carlton, Victoria. Completed 1888.|
|Prahran Market. Prahran, Victoria. Completed 1891. Early Anglo-Dutch.|
|St Nicholas Hospital buildings. Carlton, Victoria.|
|Eastern Hill Fire Station. East Melbourne, Victoria. Completed 1893.|
|Winfield Building. Collins Street, Melbourne. Also demonstrates Queen Anne traits. Completed 1891.|
|Perseverence Hotel. Fitzroy, Victoria.|