Sydney Architecture Images- The Rocks and the Quay

Richmond Villa  

architect

Mortimer Lewis

location

120 Kent Street

date

1849 

style

 

construction

Sandstone Relocated here from the domain in the 70's.

type

House
  ROC003-01.jpg (162125 bytes)ROC003-05.jpg (135775 bytes)
  ROC003-04.jpg (66872 bytes)
   
This attractive sandstone building has a richly historic past. It was erected in 1849 by the Colonial Architect, Mortimer Lewis, as his private residence facing the Sydney domain. It was dismantled in 1976 to make way for additions to Parliament House and was re-erected on its current site by the New South Wales Department of Public Works. The Villa was officially opened in February 1978 as the headquarters of the Society of Australian Genealogists, a non-profit membership society which now houses its Australian library and manuscript collection there.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://www.sag.org.au/services/villahire.htm