Sydney Architecture Images- The Rocks and the Quay

Lord Nelson Hotel

architect

 

location

19 Kent St (Cnr Argyle St)

date

1834

style

Old Colonial Regency

construction

Sandstone

type

Pub
Originally built in 1834 by former plasterer William Wells as his residence, the Lord Nelson obtained its liquor licence in 1841, one year before the town of Sydney was proclaimed a city. This makes it one of the oldest pubs in Sydney.
On 29th June 1831 Richard Phillips obtained a liquor licence for the Shipwright Arms on the north-east corner of Kent and Argyle streets. The next year, because of the support of the seafarers and the workers on Observatory Hill, he changed the name to The Sailor's Return. In 1838 Phillips sold to a plasterer, William Wells, who lived on the opposite corner in a two storey colonial home he built in 1836 using sandstone blocks quarried from the area at the base of Observatory Hill. Wells continued to operate the pub opposite his home firstly as the Sailors Return, and in 1840 as the Quarryman's Arms.
In 1841 he sold and on 1st May 1841 he obtained a liquor licence for his home which he then called The Lord Nelson. The hotel has now been restored to its former grandeur with the aid of an 1852 photograph.
On the walls you will see many interesting artefacts including an original "Times" newspaper of 7th November 1805 with details of the Battle of Trafalgar and Lord Nelson's death. A copy of the hotel's first licence, and other interesting pieces helps give the hotel its authentic 1800s atmosphere. Historic Listings: National Trust, Heritage, Royal Australian Society, Plaque '41'.
 
 
 
  Tel: (02) 9251-4044
Fax: (02) 9251-1532
Email: hotel@lordnelson.com.au 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

www.lordnelson.com.au