Sydney Architecture Images- Harold Park

Harold Park historical images gallery.

  See also
Harold Park history
Harold Park Redevelopment
Harold Park history from the air
Glebe early maps
Harold Park historical images
Rozelle Tram Depot
Rozelle Tram Depot historical images
Rozelle Tram Depot historical from the air
Sydney Tramsheds Gallery
Former Tram Depots of Sydney
Construction of the paceway boundary fence 1909
 
One of the earliest photographs published of harness racing track at Harold Park dating from 1902 when the track was known as Forest Lodge. Interestingly, the original Harold Park Hotel can be seen to the left.
Harness racing at Epping (Harold Park) in 1918 and some seven years after the NSWTC acquired the freehold title of the ground.
The illuminated open grandstand erected in 1961. The cars parked in the in-field in this era
accessed the area from Ross Street. From 1949, given that both the dogs and trots were held at night,
this is what most people probably saw of the track.
The 1961 grandstand under refurbishment in 1996. At this time the northern portion of the stand was glazed-in and a new section was added at the north end.
One of the two tote buildings erected in 1951, this one still standing. The building is freestanding but set close to the rock face below Maxwell Street.
The now demolished entrance gates to Harold Park at the end of Ross Street erected and
photographed in 1938. Note the sheer cliff face and how this contrasts with the photographs of the
1910s and 1920s, suggesting excavation in the interim. The lattice steel floodlights were two of the five
erected in 1936 for the night greyhound races and were part of the new greyhound track completed in
that year.
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

Reference- Harold Park Heritage Study, Paul Davies & Associates.