who knew 3? page one, page two, page three

See also- Gone but not forgotten, Gone gallery 1. 

site- cnr george and bathurst streets
Originally Regent Theatre
August 1968 (40 years ago)
now-Lumeire (nov 2007) had been and empty plot of land for 16 years!
Site- 184 Phillip Street, Sydney. Formerly Queens Club.
Pulled down 1974 for the Law Courts Building.
Site- the corner of PITT and MARKET streets (entry to Pitt Street Mall).
1870 ... A butcher, a surgery, dentist, and Woodward (an oyster merchant), F.C sold music and books.
All demolished in 1887.
Next came the stunning "Her Majesty's theater'. WOW. Was burnt down in 1902 and moved up to Haymarket.
The corner from 1970 until 2010.
The current refurbishment and recladding of the existing structure being undertaken by Westfield, to be completed late 2010 (picture JWA Architects). Westfield Sydney City
site- cnr bent & bligh streets
Dalgety House 1880s to 1970
 
O'Connell House 1970-2008
SPACE 1 Bligh 2010
site- cnr bligh/hunter streets
1870's Old Colonial Mutual.
1936
new City Mutual Life Building
Site- Chifley Square, Cnr Hunter, Phillip and 
Loftus Streets
Model of Commonwealth Centre -1957
Site of future Chifley Tower.
Finally built in 1963.
The illfated CAGA, State Office Block (SOB) and 
O'Connell house. April 1980.
Chifley Tower, Kohn Pedersen Fox, 1988-93
Site- block of Gresham, Spring, Pitt and Bridge. 
Original stock exchange building 1959, 
demolished to make way for new tower in 1967.
The statue on the apex of the pediment now stands next to GG's Cafe on Pitt St, opposite the Republic Bar/Pub.
Site- Centennial Plaza, 260 Elizabeth Street. Three tower po-mo complex in the dip at Central.
Previously on the site was the Tooths Standard Brewery from 1875 to 1980.
The 5 storey/80ft brewery tower was tallest building in Sydney .
In 1881 it was first building in sydney to house a passenger lift which was donated from the ill-fated garden palace.
Image shows the original tower intergrated into larger premises far right.
The block was bulldozed 1980 and 1987 for the new 3 tower complex.
http://www.centennialplaza.com.au/
A great panorama of the site.
 
Site- Currency House, 23 Hunter Street. Not sure what occupied the site before but how amazing was this!!! . It must of been a truly amazing intersection back in the day along with the herald building opposite. Empire Hotel, circa 1900
Pitt Street looking south. Old Herald building on the left.
 
Extensions where then made removing the ornate roof.  
But the ground level did remain.
 

 

Special thanks to Culwulla & the good folks at- http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=343593