Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Australian Joint Stock Bank now part of the Westpac Banking Group Limited.


No info currently available




Built- 1852  Demolished-


Victorian Mannerist


Rendered brick Stone


Summary Formed by a Deed of Settlement in 1852 as The Australian Joint Stock Bank, the bank was incorporated by an Act of the New South Wales Parliament in 1853. In 1893 the bank was registered with limited liability and became known as The Australian Joint Stock Bank Limited. In 1910 the company changed its name to The Australian Bank of Commerce Limited.
The plan to create the Australian Joint Stock Bank was conceived by a group of prominent merchants and citizens at the Royal Hotel in Sydney in early 1852. Their plans became a reality when the bank opened for business in Sydney on 24 January, 1853.
The bank survived a difficult period in 1893 when it was suspended for several months. In 1910, it was reconstituted as the Australian Bank of Commerce Limited which acquired the City Bank of Sydney in 1916, eventually to be absorbed by the Bank of New South Wales in 1931 - now part of the Westpac Banking Group Limited.

Notes were issued from branches in Armidale, Brisbane, Goulburn, Grafton, Mudgee, Newcastle, Rockhampton, Sydney, Townsville, Wagga Wagga and West Maitland. The word 'Limited' was not used by the company on its notes until 1893.