Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

English, Scottish & Australian Bank

architect

 

location

 

date

Built-    Demolished-

style

Victorian Italianate

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

Bank
Summary  
 
 
 
 
The English, Scottish & Australian Bank Limited was formed by Royal Charter in London in 1852. The first Australian branch was opened in Sydney in 1853. Notes were issued at branches in Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne. The Bank initially traded as the English, Scottish & Australian Chartered Bank Limited. The word 'Chartered' was dropped from the name after the bank was reconstructed during the financial upheaval of 1893.



The company absorbed the Commercial Bank of Tasmania Limited and the London Bank of Australia Limited in 1921, followed by the Royal Bank of Australia Limited in 1927. The bank merged with the Australia and New Zealand Bank in 1970 to form the Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited.

In 1911, the bank was one of 16 banks who supplied blank note forms to the Australian Government. These notes were superscribed as redeemable in gold and issued as the first Commonwealth notes.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://www.australianstamp.com/coin-web/aust/notes/colonial/esabl.htm