Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

St Stephen's Church

architect

No info currently available

location

Phillip Street, Martin Place,/cnr phillip.

date

Built-  1870s  Demolished- 1931

style

Victorian Free Gothic

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

Church
Summary St Stephen's Presbyterian Church in Phillip Street, built in the 1870s, was demolished in the early 1930s following resumption by the Sydney City Council for the extension of Martin Place through to Macquarie Street. The trustees of the church in the meantime purchased Burdekin House in Macquarie Street and, following its demolition in August 1933, built a new church on this site which opened in early 1935.
For more info see St Stephen's Iron Church (the prior location).
Original St Stephen's Church, Phillip Street Sydney, around 1933 -demolished to make way for Martin Place extension.
View looking up Martin Place.
 
Above- the demolition for the opening up of Martin Place.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links