part_built_2.jpg (59752 bytes) Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Rookwood Mortuary Chapel

architect

James Barnet

location

Regent Street Redfern

date

c. 1868

style

Victorian Free Gothic

construction

Sandstone now transferred stone by stone to Canberra

type

Government utility
The Mortuary Chapel connected with a similar one near Central.


The Rookwood Mortuary Station


The burnt out station at Rookwood



One of the Gargoyles 

The architect, James Barnet


Angel of Death Angel of Resurrection


The top of one of the columns 

The first stages of building


Construction in progress - December 1958


Outside view taken in October 1959


View from the road, October 1959


The church's interior with the painted glass window, April 1966


The newly installed Sheffield Window


 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links