Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Spring Street Building

architect

No info currently available

location

At the intersection of Bond, Spring and Pitt Streets. 62 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000

date

Built-    Demolished- 1970

style

Victorian Italianate

construction

Sandstone

type

Office
 
Above- the site in 1955 and today. It was a shame to lose this one.
Spring Street

One of Sydney’s first streets, it is believed to have been named because it followed the eastern bank of the Tank Stream though this is not necessarily so since it followed the path of a small stream that wended its way down the hillside. Spring Street was a popular name, at least three thoroughfares had that name in 1810 when Gov. Macquarie did some renaming (this street wasn’t given its name officially until 1834). Up until the 1850s when the Tank Stream was channelled underground and the original Government house was demolished, there were no buildings on Spring Street as its west side fronted onto the Tank Stream, and the eastern side was the boundary of the Governor’s gardens.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links