Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency

architect

No info currently available

location

38 Bridge Street (down by the Quay).

date

Built-    Demolished-

style

Victorian Mannerist

construction

Rendered brick

type

Bank
 
Advertising sign, for the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Co. Ltd., Sydney, enamelled steel, Permanent Decorative Glass Co., Lancaster, England, 1907-1920
On the site today.
 
New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency.

The company was registered in England in April 1865. In July 1893 the company suspended business and was again, after reconstruction, incorporated on 10 May 1894. The company's share registers were in London, Melbourne and Wellington. The Australian Head Office and a branch was established in Melbourne in 1875 and in 1880 commenced wool selling activities. Australian branches and agencies were also set up in Sydney (1876), Brisbane and Rockhampton (1884), Adelaide (1886), Townsville (1898), Albury, Longreach, Geelong (1956). In 1889 the Australian operations were separated from those of New Zealand, with David Elder becoming the first general manager for Australia. On the retirement of Elder in 1903 a Local Board of Advice was established to advise and support senior management in Australia. At the same time the Australian Branch was formed. The number of sub-branches and agencies grew after 1945. The company also had extensive interests in New Zealand and in South Africa (1930-1960). The company acquired a number of smaller firms and also formed new subsidiaries; New Zealand Loan Properties (Australia) Pty Ltd (1952); New Zealand Land Nominees Pty Ltd (1957); New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency (Produce) Ltd (1957). In 1961 the company merged with Dalgety and Company Ltd to form Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd.

 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://archivescollection.anu.edu.au/index.php/new-zealand-loan-and-mercantile-agency-company-sydney-branch-deposit-2