Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

London Chartered Bank

architect

J. J. Hilly

location

Corner of George and Jamison Streets

date

Built-  1867  Demolished-

style

Victorian Italianate

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

Bank
London Chartered Bank, corner of George and Jamison Streets, Sydney, around 1870 / photographer unknown
 
 
 
Above- on the site today.
 
THE LONDON CHARTERED BANK OF AUSTRALIA, GEORGE STREET, SYDNEY.

THE directors of the London Chartered Bank of Australia have recently erected a new banking-house on the site of their old premises in George Street (illustrated by our engraving). The architect was Mr. J. J. Hilly. The plan of the new building includes a recessed porch for the entrance to the bank from George-street, an entrance-hall, 18 ft. by ll ft, with a manager's room and a board-room, 18 ft. 6 in. by 18 ft.6 in., one on each side.

The banking-room, on the left, is 50 ft. by 29 ft. ; it runs the whole height of the two stories, and is lighted by a circular panelled ceiling with glass panels; over this is a second roof with sashes all round, to afford light to the panels, and also ventilation for the great room below; an arrangement of perforated beams serves this purpose. On the right of the tellers' room there is a corridor from the board-room to the strong-room(entered from the tellers' room), giving access to the porters' rooms, and a stationery-room.



A private entrance in the Jamison-street front, with a staircase, leads to six rooms above, with closets, &c, and there: are stairs to the roof for the porter to ascend with ease to clean the glass and attend to the ventilation. The style of the building may be called Mixed Italian.It has large arched windows with full dressings. The base course consists of very large stones, moulded: the string-courses are moulded and richly |carved, with good projections. The cornice has modillions, with a carved frieze and a lofty balustrade. The effect is sought to be obtained by mass.

The tellers' room is furnished with a Corinthian entablature all round supported by pilasters ; the floor is of marble, and the hall appropriately finished. The material used is red sandstone. The bank was established in Sydney in 1852, and possesses a paid-up capital of one million, with a reserve fund of £100,000.

The first chairman and founder of the bank was the late eminent merchant and shipowner, Mr. Duncan Dunbar, who, upon his decease, was succeeded by Mr. Fane de Salis, also one of the founders, a gentleman long engaged in Australian commerce, and distinguished as one of the originators of steam communication with Australia;

SMH 1867

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links