Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

PRINCESS THEATRE aka Bijou Picture Palace

architect

 

location

George Street (opposite Central Station).

date

Built-  1911 Demolished- ca. late-1920s

style

Federation Free Style

construction

Red brick

type

Theater
Summary Ugly curio of a place.
 
 

Princess Theatre 1 - ClayThe Bijou Picture Palace was opened as the Princess Theatre in 1911 by West’s Pictures. Vaudeville entrepreneur J. C. Bain leased it from 1911 until 1914, the same year that it came under the control of the Fullers. Two years later the theatre hosted the Stiffy and Mo’s debut season. Between 1918 and 1926 the Princess became Harry Clay’s city headquarters. Its demise occurred when the Marcus Clarke Company acquired the building in order to expand its George Street department store.

Above- on the site today.
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://ozvta.com/theatres-nsw/