Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

OPERA HOUSE (aka Kelly and Leon’s Opera House / Imperial Opera House)

architect

 

location

Corner of King and York streets.

date

Built-  1879  Demolished- 1900

style

Victorian Italianate

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

Theater
 
 
OPERA HOUSE

(aka Kelly and Leon’s Opera House / Imperial Opera House)

(1879-1900) Corner of King and York streets.

Sydney Opera House - 1879 [Downes, 49]
Built for American minstrels Edwin Kelly and Francis Leon, the 900 seat theatre was opened on Boxing Night 1879. Especially designed for variety and comic opera performances it was located on the first floor of a warehouse on the corner of King and York Streets (later the site of the Grace Brother’s building). The theatre underwent several renovations during its lifetime, one of the most significant occurring in 1892 when George Forbes re-opened it as the Imperial Opera House. The building was finally condemned in 1900.

Image source: Peter Downes. The Pollards (2002), 49.


Above- the site today.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

http://ozvta.com/theatres-nsw/