Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Henry Bull & Co. Building

architect

No info available.

location

Cnr Market & York Streets

date

Construction 1904 Renovation 1913 Demolition 1973

style

COMMERCIAL PALAZZO Victorian Romanesque

construction

Rendered brick Stone cladding. Height (architectural) 53m (roof) 42m Floors 10.timber framed

type

Office
Summary Here is the 175ft / 53m HENRY BULL BUILDING of 1904.
Its corner cupola complimented the nearby dome of QVB. It was one of the tallest for its time with a beautifully crafted stone base with Edwardian style facade. checkout the twin statues of kangaroos over the entrance. the copper cupola was the water tower. Only the 56m Hotel Australia was taller.
Like many warehouses back in early 20C, it was timber framed. It was pulled down in 1973 for St Martins.
Above- In 1914, 4 storeys were added.
Above- the original form.
Pyrmont Bridge, c.1904

In 1904 the Pyrmont Bridge is a vital transport link between the city and the industrial wharves of Darling Harbour and Pyrmont. The bridge is jammed with carts filled with produce, ice and other vital goods. Ships, wharves and warehouses can be seen down to the left. The pointy roofline of the corn exchange is directly behind the I.S.N.Co.Ltd’s wharves. The tall domed building in the background on the right is the Henry Bull & Co. Building (St Martins Tower now stands on the site) and peeking from behind are the domes of the Queen Victoria Market building.

One hundred years later, and the city skyline has changed dramatically. Pyrmont Bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic. The bridge now serves as a vital pedestrian link to the tourist playground of Darling Harbour and is traversed by the monorail. The city skyline has expanded. The warehouses have been replaced by glass walled office towers. The wharves now host the Sydney Aquarium. The spiky roofline of the corn market can still be seen at the end of the bridge. Restored in 1995, it now functions as shops and offices.

this was the Henry Bull bldg of 1904.Lovely federation style. nice brickwork with stone base.
It was 6storeys and 53m to cnr water turret. it was to emulate the dome of QVB. In 1913 it had 4 floors added to 45m height limit in 1914.(it was pulled down in 1972 (to make way for St Martins tower)
 
Above- the site today. Nice..........
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links