Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Simeon Lord's House Plaque 62 of the Green Plaques

architect

 

location

Macquarie Place

date

Built-    Demolished-

style

 

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

House
Summary  
 
 
SIMEON LORD and MARY HYDE

Simeon Lord was born in the village of Todmorden in Yorkshire, England, on 28 January 1771. His parents were Simeon Lord and Ann Fielden. Much has been written about the Fielden family, and it is after their home in Yorkshire that Simeon renamed the farm he bought in Sydney, "Dobroyde".

In 1790, Simeon was charged with the theft of some cloth, and although he proclaimed his innocence, was found guilty on 22 April 1790, and sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He landed in Sydney as part of the third fleet on board "Atlantic", on 20 August 1791. The prisoners had embarked at Woolwich, and sailed from Portsmouth. Atlantic was the first ship to sail non-stop to Rio de Janeiro and then to Sydney. The passage took 146 days, and there were 18 deaths. On board were 220 male convicts, no female.

Simeon was luckier than most, as he had some money and was assigned on board to Captain Thomas Rowley, who encouraged him to invest part of his funds on the trip to Australia. Lord made a profit from this investment, and never looked back. In Sydney, he was again assigned to Rowley, assisting him in his business affairs, and learning how to make his own fortune. Lord was later assigned to a baker, Mrs Bligh, in the Rocks district of Sydney. By 1798 Lord was free man, and trading in his own right.


Simeon Lord's House, Macquarie Place, Sydney


These two pictures show Lord's house just prior to demolition.

On 27th October, 1814, Simeon Lord married Mary Hyde. The couple already had 5 children, and had a further 3 after the marriage. Mary also had two children, Mary Ann Black and John Henry Black, prior to beginning her relationship with Lord. Mary Hyde was transported for 7 years for theft, and had shortly after her arrival formed a relationship with John Black. In 1802 John Black was lost at sea. Also living with the family was Johanna, the adopted daughter of Simeon Lord, who married Francis Williams. Lord was also the guardian of Louisa Skinner, the daughter of Samuel Skinner and Mary Watkins. When Louisa married John Henry Black in 1827, it was with Lord's consent. Sarah A Ramsay (Lord's daughter) was a witness to the marriage.

Simeon and Mary lived in Macquarie Place, Sydney, where Lord owned a large home and warehouse. They later moved to Banks House, Botany.

Link- http://belindacohen.tripod.com/lordfamily/
 
------------

Simeon Lord's House, Macquarie Place, Sydney

These two pictures show Lord's house just prior to demolition.

-------------

Simeon Lord's House Macquarie Place. Macquarie Place still retains part of its original shape (but not all of its size). On the west side can be discerned where the tidal inlet of Sydney Cove used to extend to Bridge Street. Simeon Lord's house and warehouse backed on to the inlet giving him private access to valuable wharfage - or at least
some access by water at high tide. Valuable cargoes were often left at Lord's which was one of the few impressive dwellings in early Sydney.
His trading interests were wide and included partnerships with other important merchants of the time.

The rear of Simeon Lord's House, looking from the Rocks, just across from the Tank stream, Leading up to old Government House

Simeon Lord bought land on the west side and Lord's famous three-storied sandstone mansion with its warehouse sited on the eastern bank of the Tank Stream now occupied by Kyle House. Simeon Lord's property, reduced somewhat by a land exchange with the government, remained in the hands of Lord's widow until her death in 1864 and was thereafter owned by their son George William Lord and his family until 1920. Lord's building was entirely demolished and Kyle House opened towards the end of 1931,

Link- http://www.megalongcc.com.au/Ambermere/william_cummings__innkeepers.htm

-------------

Simeon Lord’s House, backing onto the Tank Stream. The wool manufactory where George Marshall and the other assignees worked was behind the house.

The rear of Simeon Lord’s House, looking from The Rocks, just across the Tank Stream, on what is now Bridge Street, leading up to the old Government House. The work buildings can be seen in the rear.

Link- http://www.frankmurray.com.au/?page_id=1139

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links