Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

'Banjo' Paterson's Office Plaque 52 of the Green Plaques

architect

No info available

location

Bond St.

date

Built-    Demolished-

style

No info available

construction

Rendered brick Stone

type

Office
Summary  
 
 
 
Not named because of its shape (even though it does have a bend in it), Bent Street is named after Judge-Advocate Ellis Bent after whom Bent’s Basin in Sydney’s west is also named. By the 1830s, the southern side of Bent Street was occupied by a row of large well-to-do houses, tastefully laid out in gardened grounds. The northern side still fronted onto the Government garden and remained that way until the original Government house built by Gov. Arthur Phillip in 1788 was demolished.

Site of ‘Banjo’ Paterson’s Office
Brought up in the country, Andrew Paterson moved to Sydney to continue his secondary education and was articled as a solicitor with a Sydney firm. In his bush ballads, many of which were written in the city, he painted a popular picture of station life with such ballads as ‘The Man from Snowy River’ and ‘Clancy of the Overflow’. He signed himself as ‘the Banjo’ in contributions to The Bulletin magazine, hence his popular name. The site is identified by a Gleen Plaque historic marker.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links