Sydney Architecture Images-
Gone but not forgotten
Lieutenant Governor's House Plaque 27 of the Green Plaques
|Old Colonial Georgian|
|George St., cnr. Grosvenor St.|
|Built- 1788 Demolished- 1831|
|Rendered brick Stone|
|Summary||It was the unofficial government house during the years of the Rum Corps power.|
The Rum Rebellion of 1808 was the only successful armed takeover of
government in Australian history. During the 19th century, it was widely
referred to as the Great Rebellion. The Governor of New South Wales,
William Bligh, was deposed by the New South Wales Corps under the
command of Major George Johnston, working closely with John Macarthur,
on 26 January 1808, 20 years to the day after Arthur Phillip founded
European settlement in Australia. Afterwards, the colony was ruled by
the military, with the senior military officer stationed in Sydney
acting as the Lieutenant-Governor of the colony until the arrival from
Britain of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie as the new Governor at the
beginning of 1810.
THE LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR'S HOUSE
It stood on the southern corner of George and Grosvenor streets. The sketch was made at the time it was occupied by Lieutenant-Governor Paterson. In front is the parade ground with a squad of soldiers at drill. The house afterwards became the Sydney Hotel.
Dr. Johnson, with the memory of countless nights spent at the Mitre and the Crown and Anchor, once remarked that "a tavern chair was the throne of human felicity." If we had possessed a Johnson in Sydney in the 'twenties there would have been many references in his indispensable Boswell to the Sydney Hotel, the site of which is the southern corner of George and Grosvenor streets. Great steel latticing is pushing its way to the skies at this moment on the spot as the framing for the new offices of the Union Steamship Company. The site, however, has round it far more interesting associations than that of a well-known tavern. In fact, to begin at the beginning of its history, we must go back to the First Fleet and 1788. With Governor Phillip there came, as Lieutenant-Governor, Major Ross, and that gentleman selected this spot as the site of his house. If one could push on one side the buildings in front of it one could see what excellent taste the major displayed.At our feet would be the waters of the Cove, and from these we could lift our eyes to behold the glorious length of the Harbour to the Heads. The building was started in April, 1788, and Collins, in referring to it, says: "One face of which was to be in the principal street of the intended town." This entry is interesting, for it marks for us where Phillip's noble street of 200 feet width was to run.
Lieutenant Governors House later the Sydney Hotel
THE LIEUTENANT-GOVERNOR'S HOUSE
In the plan of July, 1788 the building is shown in position to the new street, which was to extend from the vicinity of the present Petty's Hotel past the site of the house to the Cove in a straight line. The intersecting street, which the Lieutenant-Governor's house fronted, ran at right angles to the principal street. These streets never came into being. George street pushed its way past the house, and became the principal thoroughfare, but while the house stood it was always a reminder of Phillip's intention, for it ran obliquely across the corner lot. After Major Ross's departure, Major Grose, his successor, became the tenant. This gentleman evidently regarded himself as the owner, for on his departure, in 1794, he leased the premises to his successor for fourteen years. Captain Paterson, that "simple, good-natured man," as Macquarie describes him, was one of the most interesting tenants of the house.
Peron, the French navigator, who visited Sydney in 1802, referring to the building, says that behind it "is a vast garden, which is worth the attention both of the philosopher and the naturalist, on account of the great number of useful vegetables which are cultivated in it, and which have been procured from every part of the world by its present distinguished possessor, Mr. Paterson, a distinguished traveller, and a member of the Royal Society of London." Portion of the house and the garden may be seen in the illustration "Sydney in 1813," on page 17.
After Paterson left the colony we find Garnham Blaxcell in possession. This gentleman, in 1817, found
himself in such financial difficulties that he just quietly faded away one night, and was seen no more in New South Wales. Following him as owner and occupier we have Sir John Jamison, of whom we shall hear more in our next chapter. Sir John let the premises, in 1820, to Mr. Stilwell, who opened it as the Sydney Hotel and Coffee Palace. This gentleman reigned only a few months when he was succeeded as tenant by the Superintendent of Police, who gave place in December, 1822, to Mr. William Cummings. This gentleman revived the Sydney Hotel, and it was while he reigned as boniface that the Sydney Hotel became the leading hotel of Sydney. It was a place of meetings, as well as a meeting house.
Mr. Cummings moved to Macquarie-place in January, 1828. in January, 1831, Sir John Jamison sold the materials of the old building and the site was sold in the following September.
The purchaser of the site was Mr. Samuel Lyons, who erected, in 1833, that fine block of buildings, in which was his auction room, to which Sir James Fairfax recently referred to in his memories of old Sydney. "Lyons built it, and there sold everything that might be sold under an an auctioneer's hammer. It was the birthplace of many enterprises.' Lyons's buildings were demolished in 1912, and the site now enters upon a new phase of existence.
THE STORY OF OLD
A CHAPTER IN OLD SYDNEY
CHARLES H. BERTIE
Fellow Royal Australian Historical Society
Author of "Old Sydney." Stories of Old Sydney'
"The Story of Vaucluse House," Etc.
99 Castlereagh Street
Image: The Governor's House at Sydney, Port Jackson, 1791 Watercolour by Lieutenant William Bradley. Bennelong was living here at the time. (image courtesy : State Library of NSW)