Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Mort & Co Wool Shed Plaque 08 of the Green Plaques

  Later became Farmers and Graziers.

architect

Pritchard, W.

location

Young St., cnr. Albert St.

date

Built-  1869  Demolished- 1959 for the AMP building at Circular Quay.

style

Victorian / Federation Warehouse. A lot of 19th-century folk (including Arthur Streeton) remarked that Circular Quay in the 1890s resembled Venice, particularly due to the architecture of the Mort warehouse, the tower and domes of the Lands Department Building, the 1893 Goldsborough warehouse tower. etc.

construction

Rendered brick Stone- the 5 storey original bldg from 1869 was highest building in Australia. In 1889 they extended it with 3 floors and doubled its size.

type

Warehouse
Mort & Co's wool stores...the 'original' building was completed in 1870 and the additions were completed in 1886. Goldsborough and Mort amalgamated in 1888...after which the building became known as the Goldsborough Mort & Co wool store...later it became the Farmers & Graziers Building.
Panoramas of Circular Quay
Above- laying the woodblock road nearby, 1920s.
 
Maps
Demolition
On the site today
 
 
 
 
Mort & Co., wool store and the Customs House at Circular Quay, Sydney, ca. 1885

General Note
GPO original locations or series - Sh271
Information from NSW Government Printer - Original signed: W. Pritchard. Register date: 1877.
Name Pritchard, W. (architect)



"The name Mort & Co has been associated with Australia’s agricultural industries for decades.

This link was first established in 1843 when Thomas Sutcliff Mort established Mort & Co as an auctioneering and brokering business specifically focusing on selling wool. This business developed and became a leading pastoral house before merging with R Goldsbrough & Co in 1888 to form Goldsbrough Mort & Co.

Goldsbrough Mort & Co continued to grow, and in 1962 merged with Elder Smith & Co to form Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort & Co Ltd.

Consolidation continued, and in 1981 Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort & Co Ltd merged with Henry Jones IXL to form Elders IXL which today trades as Elders.

Charlie Mort, the proprietor of Mort & Co is a great-great-great nephew of Thomas and is proud of the mark that his ancestors have had on the Australian agricultural industry."


Above- in the centre of the image is Harrison Jones & Devlin's wool store at Circular Quay...foundation laid in July 1878.
T
he original building of 1878 was first building in Australia to have 6 storeys. In 1885 it was extended north by 34m. A southern section was also added to give total length of 80m. in 1950 it was degraded into a carpark and finally demolished in 1978 for Gateway Park..
 

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links

www.mortco.com.au/history.html