Sydney Architecture Images- Gone but not forgotten

Gone gallery.

  See also Images from the book "Sydney in 1848"
  Stephen Roberts Lecture Theatre, Sydney University.
  Farmers and Graziers, Ultimo.
  At the end of Martin Place.
  Murdoch's department store
  Anthony Hordern's, George Street.
  Carters' Barracks, Pitt St., cnr. Eddy Avenue
  Departmental H.Q., 237 Macquarie Street
  The original Dymock's Book Arcade
  first Sydney Post Office
  Judge Wild's house, cnr Liverpool & Elizabeth Sts
  Lyons Terrace, Liverpool Street, Sydney
  Burdekin House, Macquarie Street
  Croquet, `Kioto' (formerly Llandaff), Botany Street, Waverley
  Granthamville (later Grantham), Potts Point
  Maramanah, Darlinghurst
  Nairn Cottage, Westmead
  Orielton', Ocean Street, Edgecliff
  Retford Hall, Darling Point
  springfield house- pottspoint 1937
  St Paul's Church [parsonage], Redfern
  St. Stephens Presbyterian Church
  Toohey's new brewery building facing Elizabeth Street
  The future of Martin Place
The Trocadero

George St. 'The Troc' as it was popularly known was Australia's biggest and many say, best dancing and banqueting centre. In its heyday it attracted 5000 couples a week. to its public dances and could accommodate 2000 for banquets.

It was well known for the quality of its dance bands and as a dance restaurant (not just a 'dance hall'!) was one of the best establishments of its type.

Lyons Terrace

Liverpool St. Lyons Terrace, built for the auctioneer Samuel Lyons was for many years one of the best residential addresses in Sydney. The three storey terraced houses stood on Liverpool Street on the south side of Hyde Park, with a view over that area.

Sir Alfred Stephen, one of the most eminent judges and legislators of the 19th Century resided there as did many other prominent citizens.

In the 20th Century the terrace was demolished in parts, the first in 1910 to make way for the street leading to Central Railway.

The Tivoli Theatre

Castlereagh St., cnr. Hay St. The Tivoli was not only the home of vaudeville in Sydney but also saw melodrama, pantomime and grand opera. It opened in 1911 with a performance of The Bad Girl of the Family.

In 1915-16 it was renovated by H. E. White (architect of the later State Theatre) and could seat nearly 3,000 patrons. More recent patrons remember that the noise of the trains on the city circle could be heard during the performances.


Colonial Regency
The increasing wealth of the colony in the 1830s was reflected in the construction of Regency style villas, built for well-to-do pastoralists, civil servants and merchants. 

John Verge was Sydney's most prominent and fashionable architect of the 1830s. He gained a clientele of influential citizens including John Macarthur, William Charles Wentworth and Colonial Secretary Alexander Macleay. Some of his finest designs survive for the enjoyment of Sydneysiders and visitors today - such as Elizabeth Bay House, Tusculum and Rockwall at Potts Point, and Camden Park on the Macarthur Estate.

Villas of Darlinghurst

The area extending from Potts Point to Kings Cross and up to Oxford Street in Sydney is today a diverse, colourful and densely populated hub. So it's amazing to think that this area was once an exclusive enclave reserved for a small number of wealthy and influential citizens.

In 1828 Governor Ralph Darling ordered the subdivision of Woolloomooloo Hill (Darlinghurst) into suitable 'town allotments' for large residences and extensive gardens. The allotments were then granted to selected citizens, ensuring that the colony's growing professional middle class should live in an area not too distant from the town.

Today only five of the original villas still stand, although the legacy of other early houses remains in streets around Potts Point, Darlinghurst and Kings Cross. The ... Allotments ... consisting of from 8 to 10 Acres each, were granted by me principally to Gentlemen in the Service of Government, for the purpose of enabling them to provide themselves with a residence and have the benefit of a Garden. [Governor Ralph Darling, 26 March 1828]
  Wesleyan Centenary Hall, York Street.