GLE18-01.jpg (55617 bytes) Sydney Architecture Images- Glebe

Glebe Fire Station


Walter Liberty Vernon   EL Drew design


75 St. Johns Road.




Federation Arts and Crafts


A suburban public building of unclustered domestic scale. Builder: Sandbrook Bros 


Federation Arts & Crafts: a two storey building with a ground floor of dark red brick and a first floor of cream rough cast with sandstone coping and tall terracotta chimney pots. The building falls to a one storey brick section at the rear. The ground floor front (south) elevation is divided in three bays - two projecting engine bays are on the western end, with a recessed bay on the eastern end. The recessed bay houses two small side windows flanking a central door under a semi-circular awning. The exposed brickwork emphasizes the arched lintel over the engine bays. On the first floor above the engine bay on the western end, is a rounded rough cast gable with a chimney, sandstone coping and a circular vent centred under the apex. Pairs of elongated windows with 16 pane top sash are centred over the western engine bay and eastern recessed bay. A small parapet with a sandstone coping wraps the eastern corner. Over the central engine bay there is a projecting enclosed balcony, with a lower roof line with exposed rafters. The building is designed in the round, with similar detailing to the southern elevation. The eastern elevation has an arched entry with a circular window above and a semi-circular window beside. An oriel window signals the change of level and the division between brickwork and stucco. The western elevation has large semi-circular arched windows and circular air vents. Pressed metal ceilings in the engine bays, original joinery, stables now part of the engine bay. The Victorian suburbia around makes this an important public building of a later era. The building is set on a large block of land, in a high density area (McMonnies 1988).
Built in 1905, under the direction of WL Vernon, Government Architect, to the design of EL Drew, Assistant Government Architect. The builders were Sandbrook Bros. Opened on 13th June, 1906. It is one of a series of similar fire stations with small differences in detail, including Leichhardt and Botany. This design reflects the then current interest in the work of Voysey in England and Richardson in America (McMonnies 1988).

Special thanks to