Sydney Architecture Images- Eastern Suburbs

Tusculum

architect

John Verge

location

Potts Point

date

1830-32

style

Old Colonial Regency

construction

rendered brick

type

House

 

Following images with special thanks to Michael Greenhalgh. 
 
 
 
 
When the first land grants were made on Woolloomooloo Hill (now Potts Point) houses there had to
meet a series of conditions: they had to cost at least £1000, face the city, and be approved by the Governor. Tusculum, designed by John Verge
for the merchant Alexander Brodie Spark and completed in 1835, was typical of the mansions that
once dominated the landscape of this precinct.
Originally there was an open colonnade of Doric columns at ground level, but in 1851 merchant William Long rebuilt it with the two-storey Ionic
colonnade we see today. Tusculum went through many uses, ending up near-derelict before being restored in 1988, as home of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects. A new building at the rear
contains an architectural bookshop open to the public.

 

www.sydneyarchitecture.com 

links