Architecture Images-Sydney Architects
Ancher Mortlock & Woolley
|Images copyright of architect.|
|The recent refurbishment of the QVB.|
|The iconic air control tower st Sydney airport.|
|The Woolley house at Mosman.|
Ancher Mortlock & Woolley
18 22-36 Mountain St , Suite C3, Ultimo
Sydney, NSW, 2007
P:(02) 9280 2445
Ancher, Mortlock & Woolley, founded in 1946 by Sydney Ancher, is an architectural practice with several manifestations of having the leading edge in architectural design and quality.
Tradition continues with the emergence of new, young and of high caliber participating architects working in highly experienced and high quality standards studio environment.
Their services include architecture, design, master planning, urban, design, interior design and heritage/historic preservation but they are focusing on commercial, exhibition and public, healthcare, hospitality and residential. They have designed some of the most interesting and unusual architectural structures in Australia, the Pacific Rim Region, Southeast Asia and China.
The firm has received many major architectural awards including the Royal Australian Institute of Architects’ Gold Medal in 1993.
Death of Leading Architect is Sad Loss for Australia (2004)
The death of award-winning architect Bryce Mortlock (AM Hon D.Arch, B.Arch LFRAIA RIBA MRAPI) is a sad loss for Australia, Royal Australian Institute of Architects (RAIA) National President Warren Kerr said today.
The well-known and respected architect and former RAIA National President died in Sydney last weekend at the age of 82.
“Bryce Mortlock was well-known for his energetic support of the architectural profession and the RAIA, and for his willingness to speak out on matters of importance, especially as they affected good design,” Mr Kerr said. “The contributions he made as the RAIA’s NSW Chapter President from 1970-72 and RAIA National President from 1975-76 will long be remembered.
“He was also widely known as a talented architect of the highest order, who justly received awards for his work on more than one continent.”
During his 40-year-plus career as an architect, Mr Mortlock was awarded the Alfred Bossom Medal in London (1951); NSW’s prestigious Sulman Prize (1960) and Merit Award (1972); the RAIA’s top annual award, the Gold Medal (1979); the Queen’s Jubilee Medal (1977); the RAIA Victorian Chapter Bronze Medal (1981); an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Melbourne (1988); and a Member, Order of Australia (1982). He was nominated as a Life Fellow of the RAIA in 1970.
Two of his best known projects include the Sulman Award winning Badham House in Sydney’s Cronulla and the Engineering Precinct at Sydney University. He was also responsible for the University of Melbourne master plan.
Mr Mortlock was born in 1921 in the NSW country town of Lithgow. He served in the Royal Australian Air Force in Australia and Canada from 1942 to 1945. Upon his return, he began his studies immediately at the University of Sydney’s School of Architecture under Leslie Wilkinson and George Molnar. He received a B.Arch in 1950 with First Class Honours and the University Medal, departing for two years travel in England and Europe courtesy of the Byera Hadley Travelling Scholarship.
In 1952, Mr Mortlock joined forces with two like-minded architects to form Sydney architectural firm Ancher Mortlock and Murray. The firm proved highly successful, and welcomed Ken Woolley as a partner in 1964, forming Ancher Mortlock Murray and Woolley. In 1972, the firm became known as Ancher Mortlock and Woolley. Mr Mortlock remained with the practice until 1982.
Town Hall House
Town Hall House, with its Brutalist style of architecture, was designed by Ancher Mortlock and Woolley and officially opened on 28 June 1977. It houses City of Sydney Council staff. This view looks south down Kent Street, 1977. The Town Hall and its clock tower – once a visible landmark in the city - is dwarfed in the background.
The RAIA Headquarters building at 2A Mugga Way, Red Hill, was designed in 1967 by architect Bryce Mortlock of the leading Sydney firm Ancher, Mortlock, Murray and Woolley. The building combined a house and offices with a low key domestic character and is an excellent example of the late twentieth century Sydney regional style of architecture.